Calcium Caseinate, Potassium Caseinate, Sodium Caseinate
The main protein in cow's milk. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids. This white powder is used as a texturizer for frozen desserts.
Can be found in "non-dairy" foods (soy cheese).
frozen desserts, coffee creamers, cheese, soy cheese, energy bars
Possible Health Effects
Some studies suggest that a casein and dairy-free diet may alleviate some symptoms of autism.
Dairy (Lactose), May be of Animal Origin
- Nutritional Neuroscience, The ScanBrit randomised, controlled, single-blind study of a gluten- and casein-free dietary intervention for children with autism spectrum disorders, April 2010, Whiteley P, Haracopos D, Knivsberg AM, Reichelt KL, Parlar S, Jacobsen J, Seim A, Pedersen L, Schondel M, Shattock P.
- Chang Gung Medical Journal, The effects of a gluten and casein-free diet in children with autism: a case report, July-Aug 2009, Hsu CL, Lin CY, Chen CL, Wang CM, Wong MK
- Winter, Ruth. A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, 7th Edition: Descriptions in Plain English of More Than 12,000 Ingredients Both Harmful and Desirable Found in Foods. Three Rivers Press, 2009
- Statham, Bill. Eat Safe: The Truth about Additives from Aspartame to Xanthan Gum. Running Press, 2008
- Minich, Deanna M. An A-Z Guide to Food Additives: Never Eat What You Can't Pronounce. Conari Press, 2009
- Farlow, Christine Hoza, D.C.Food Additives: A Shopper's Guide To What's Safe & What's Not. KISS For Health Publishing, 2007 Revised Edition
Copyright May 20, 2010 Be Food Smart
Simply click one of the grades below to get a listing of all ingredients with that grade